The Brodart Brand
The seeds of Brodart took root in 1939, when a young Columbia University student named Arthur Brody invented the plastic book jacket cover. Involved with architectural photography as a student, one day Mr. Brody washed the emulsion off some film and folded it around his books for added protection. When the covers' popularity grew among his fellow students, the plastic book jacket cover was officially born, as was Brodart. Today, the covers are used to protect the original paper jackets of library books, giving them a longer shelf life and increasing their circulation.
The company flourished, and in 1954 began manufacturing a complete line of furniture. Expert workmanship has allowed Brodart to expand and diversify this product line, and today Brodart's library furniture is sold to schools, universities, and libraries worldwide. In the 1950s Brodart expanded into book distribution, and now offers books from thousands of publishers to libraries and schools, and stocks its warehouse with more than two million books. Many of these books are shipped to libraries completely shelf-ready--fully cataloged and processed to meet library specifications. These additional services, pioneered exclusively by Brodart, greatly reduce a librarian's workload.
An innovative half-century has passed since Brodart's early beginnings. As professionals, Brodart employees do not accept a mediocre solution to a customer's needs and continually strive to provide libraries with the best possible service and products.